Eating healthy during the holidays

Deborah Breen Whiting via Pixabay

While the holidays may be a great time to enjoy with family, friends and food, it can become extremely easy to overeat—especially unhealthy foods—and put on a few extra pounds. While the average American only gains 1-2 pounds during the holidays, studies show most don’t ever lose it, which can add up over the years. Thankfully there are a few ways to keep that extra pound or two off.

First, avoid skipping meals before going out to “make up for it later,” as this most often leads to overeating. Consider eating a filling snack with plenty of fiber and protein beforehand to provide your body with-nutrient rich calories so you aren’t tempted to load up on empty calories.

While at events, choose smaller portion sizes. One trick to accomplish this is to use a smaller plate, if possible. The less space you have available, the less likely you’ll be to overfill your plate. This only works as long as you don’t continue to go back for seconds or thirds. If you stand too close to the food table, you might find yourself unable to stop reaching for more. Standing greater than arm’s-length away from the food could help you avoid this.

When filling your plate, make sure you include healthier options too. Many associate the holidays with colorful decorations; try decorating your plate with colorful fruits and veggies.

One of the most important things to keep in mind is all good things come in moderation. If you make healthy choices during dinner, go ahead and indulge in dessert. Don’t limit yourself and turn down your favorite holiday foods all the time—this may be the only time of the year you have a chance to enjoy them. Eating healthy should not make you completely unhappy.

Finally, work some physical activity into your schedule to really ensure the weight stays off. Though the weather may be too chilly to go outside, don’t let the cold deter you—there are plenty of opportunities to get up and active. Though this time of year may include a break from school or work, that doesn’t mean it has to include a break from working out.

Staying healthy through the holidays doesn’t have to be a challenge if you can incorporate these small changes into your eating habits.