Merry music fills the air

It’s that time of year again! Pleasant Valley’s music program is given the opportunity to showcase the talent of the band, orchestra and choir members. Many seasonal classics are mixed in the performances, along with other unique genres. Although the band and orchestra already had their performances, their deserving success justifies the need to share their accomplishments.

On Monday, December 4th, the band held their annual Cider and Pretzel concert. The title of this concert is what it sounds like; cider and pretzels are offered to all at the end of the concert. Due to the size of the band, the Cider and Pretzel concert was split into two concerts. The first concert included the Wind Ensemble conducted by Rob Medd and the Symphonic Band conducted by Brian Gartner. At the second concert, Tara Daurer led the freshman concert band, followed by Drew Anderson conducting the Wind Symphony, ending with a crowd favorite, Sleigh Ride. Abby Davison, a senior enjoys this bop. “Even though I’ve had to play Sleigh Ride all four years of high school, it’s just as fun every time.”

The next day, the orchestra held their concert. Something interesting about this concert is that the performers are not only high school students. In addition to the high school students, the junior high students performed. To wrap up the performance, wind, brass and percussion joined the high school orchestra, making up the full orchestra. This concert was a success, along with the mastering of the piece, People Look East.

Although the band and orchestra concerts already took place, it’s not too late to attend the choir concert. The concert will take place on Monday, December 8th at 7 PM. The first concert will start off with the Pleasant Valley Singers conducted by Catherine Lyon, followed by the Concert Choir conducted by David Baxter. The second concert will be led by Meg Byrne, who will be conducting Women’s Ensemble and Chamber Choir. The Women’s Ensemble and Chamber Choir will conclude with the classic Hallelujah chorus. Come and support the Pleasant Valley Choirs, and congratulate the band and orchestra on their wonderful performances!