Spartify: What’s on your playlist? Mr. Fry

Though Spartify articles are frequently written about students with a passion for their music, Don Fry is a exemplary model of a teacher incorporating music into his daily routine. Teaching at Pleasant Valley High School since 1990, Fry has taught many different English courses, including Freshman English, Sophomore English, College Writing, American Literature, and Sophomore Skills. He currently teaches Honors Freshman English, World Literature, and the Film “Study of the Novel” class. Throughout the day, especially during the passing period, students are likely to hear Fry’s music coming from the classroom as he greets his students.

Fry listens to a wide variety of genres, ranging from classical to college rock and styles such as blues, jazz, punk, alternative country and folk in between. Although he listens to a range of music, most of his collection is made up of alternative and indie songs. Fry comments, “I find alternative and indie to be fresh, exciting, relevant, imaginative and innovative. In almost every case, each artist is an auteur with a vision that is realized through original songwriting, skilled musicianship and cleanly produced albums.  Alternative and indie performers and musicians are true to their art without compromising it for financial gains.” The alternative and indie genre is filled with artists creating innovative music constantly, a quality that makes it so appealing to Fry.

Tasked with the difficult decision of choosing a favorite artist, the bands Radiohead and The Beatles come to Fry’s mind. Each of these bands have formed styles of music branching off from their own becoming iconic symbols of the rock genre from the beginning. For these artists, it means less about all the money you are making, as long as your music is worthy enough for you. “If you sell enough records to carry on making records, that’s all that matters,” Colin Greenwood, Radiohead member, claims to Rolling Stone. “We’ve projected our lives into this since we were in our early teens. That’s where the genuine nature of it comes from — we’ve played together since we were kids.” This attribute makes Radiohead stand out to Fry — their music is constantly changing depending on the artist, not society. “Radiohead albums are not easily accessible upon the first listen. They are layered and complex, requiring focused attention,” said Fry. Fry finds that Radiohead is not a group where one downloads a few singles, but examines all their music as a complete experience.

“Fake Plastic Trees” by Radiohead off their second album, The Bends, is Fry’s favored song due to the fluidity and message on the expectations society puts upon each other leading to the facades created to avoid disappointment. The playlist Fry frequently listens to is his most recently created mix, curated by word of mouth and the internet. Fry looks at multiple artists across genres and downloads the tunes that he deems worthy. He listens to this playlist on the daily and exposes the musical finds to his students.