This is SpARTa! Q&A with Jei Valle-Riestra

Looking at the world as their own personal canvas and beyond is a way one could describe the talent and aspiration behind Pleasant Valley high school junior, Jei Valle-Riestra. Dawning rolls of patterned duct tape on each wrist, sporting new colorful hairstyles, rocking radical rainbow shades, and never leaving without their sketchbook in-hand is how Valle-Riestra really takes on the world. They are a section leader for Pleasant Valley’s infamous drumline, a costume designer and constructor for the Spartan Drama Club, a talented piano player, a member of Women’s Ensemble, but above all is a wonderful sketch artist. Dabbling in a variety of artforms, Valle-Riestra is able to almost effortlessly bring alive the people they draw on every page; in the interview below, you may just find out where this magic comes from.

Q: When and why did you start drawing?

A: I’ve been drawing since I was a toddler — around 2 or three — and I guess I drew because it was fun. However, I started getting more into art when I was in fifth grade when I was creating drawings of characters for my stories. People told me that I was pretty good, so I decided to roll with it. With the support of my sixth grade teacher, I started getting serious. He was my first commission, actually.

Q: Where does the inspiration for your art come from?

A: I draw inspiration from a lot of things, including music, nature, or interesting plot points in television. One of my main inspirations for doing art is definitely my friends. More often than not, I find myself creating characters based on them. If I see they have a cute outfit or a pretty hairstyle, I always feel the need to draw it. Also, as a nerd-ily inclined person, I have a lot of poetic lines running through my head and I like to create visuals for them.

Q: Do you plan on continuing your art for the future?

A: I absolutely intend on continuing art in the future! I hope to become an animator and create my own cartoon one day. In fact, there are a few colleges I have in mind where famous animators have graduated from. My current top choice is Ringling College of Art and Design, which is in Florida. The people who made a popular short film “In A Heartbeat” created the iconic film while in college there.

Q: Are there any types of art that you’d like to learn?

A: I would like to learn how to paint. I think painting is one of the most gorgeous art forms — and drawing is the basis for most forms of art — so it wouldn’t be too difficult to transition.

Q: Any tips for your fellow readers?

A: A tip I have for readers are just to draw. It doesn’t matter if you think you can only draw stick figures — everyone starts somewhere. You just have to put a little effort and time, and you can create something beautiful. Another thing is please, please, PLEASE use references! There is absolutely no shame in using them, despite popular belief. It helps you grow as an artist, and it will look so much better. Study anatomy and physics. Nobody wants inaccurate bodies or weird flowing water; it helps. One final tip — there’s no shame in drawing in a very cartoony style, but it is important to have a grasp on anatomy and proportions to properly develop your style.

Valle-Riestra has a passion for their work that is sure to take them places. If you want to look at more of their work you can look at some on Instagram @valleriestrajei; or if you want something in particular you can always ask for a commission. Pleasant Valley is quite lucky to have Valle-Riestra as an addition to their art program, and wherever they go next is going to be even luckier.