This is spARTa! Q&A with Matt Umland

Pleasant Valley senior, Matt Umland, has a passion for photography. Umland’s instagram page is filled with aesthetically pleasing photos he has taken while traveling or simply seeking out unique spots in the Quad Cities. Umland’s ability to capture moments through the lens of a camera is a very special talent that he has used to inspire and help other people.

How long have you been taking pictures?

I have been seriously taking pictures for close to a year now. I have always had an interest for taking pictures, but have never taken it seriously until recently.

What inspired you to get involved with photography?

I was inspired by the fact that I could express myself without actually using any words. From taking the pictures to editing them, I have developed a sense of style that defines me.

What are your favorite types of photos to take?

I started out with doing primarily landscape photography, but I recently moved into doing senior pictures as well. Senior pictures these days can cost hundreds of dollars which many people simply can’t afford. I decided why not offer a much cheaper option to those who can’t afford senior pictures, and also get my name out there. I like the human interaction of doing portraits, but I would have to say I like landscape the best.

What photography equipment do you use to take your pictures?

I just upgraded to a full frame camera called the Sony A7R. It’s different from a DSLR because it’s much smaller and sharper in my opinion.

Do you plan on pursuing a career in photography?

I am attending Sierra Nevada College 27 hours out west. I will be majoring in outdoor education, but I will also be minoring in photography to better my skills and maybe one day do it full time as my job.

Why do you enjoy photography and what does it mean to you?

Photography has become something that I love. I carry my camera with me almost everywhere I go, so it has essentially become another part of my body. It has allowed me to express my feelings and thoughts without speaking. To me, it is one of the most important things in my life.

$580
$1000