This is SpARTa! Q&A with Bailey Connors

Four year Allstater Bailey Connors is no stranger to the music department at Pleasant Valley High School. He has dedicated his time to excelling in orchestra and Wind Symphony on the bass clarinet, and as a bass in Chamber Choir. Recently, Connors achieved in acquiring not just one, but three ‘Best of Centers’ out of seven at the Solo and Ensemble Festival. This means after listening to hundreds of singing kids, 3 judges deemed Connors to be – or be a part – of the best signers they heard that day. Below is an interview with the talented musician:

Q: What kind of work did you put in to achieve three Best of Centers and what were they for?

A: “One for a solo, one for a mixed quartet, and one for a bass ensemble. It was a lot of work to learn and rehearse the music. Often times we rehearsed outside of class in order to work on the details of the pieces. As for my solo, I made sure to practice everyday; whether that be running my pieces once with Mrs. Lyon, or just muttering my words to myself in the hallway. Overall, it was a great experience.”

Q: When and why did you start singing?

A: “I started singing in sixth grade because my brother joined church choir before I did. Then I liked it so much that I signed up for the sixth grade choir at the junior high.”

Q: When and why did you start playing the piano?

A: “I started playing the piano in the sixth grade because someone told me I couldn’t learn the instrument.”

Q: What pieces are you working on for the piano right now?

A: “I’m practicing really hard for my senior recital. I am playing Bach’s Prelude in Bb Major, Beethoven’s Pathetique Mvt. 2, and Debussy’s Arabesque No. 1 – they’re fun.”

Q: Why are you going into music education?

A: “I’m going into music education because of music’s profound impact on my life. I want to share my experience with other kids.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about music?

A: “My favorite thing about music is its ability to bring a group of people together to accomplish a single goal.”

Q: Any advice for the readers?

A: “Join choir. We are blessed with a well known and well accomplished program. You can be apart of that. You won’t regret it.”

Bailey Connors is extremely talented and driven person who will undoubtedly make a difference for the better in his students’ lives. He will continue to learn the music that he one day will teach to students just like himself.