Swinney draws life into seniors’ final concert

For most participating seniors, the PV Orchestra Program’s May concert is bittersweet. It marks the last time seniors play with both the string and full orchestras as a whole; most times there are tears as they announce their post-high school plans and recount favorite orchestra memories. Director Rob Swinney does something very special to lessen the sting: he creates lovingly hand-drawn caricatures of each graduate to be handed out that final night.

Swinney says the tradition started about 12 years ago, when the orchestra program was getting on its feet. “Caricatures were just something I was tinkering with,” said Swinney. “One year I sold them at a fundraising event, and then I thought that maybe I could give them as a gift to graduating seniors. It just started and stuck.” The portraits themselves bear an artist’s touch; drawn in swooping ink lines and a loose, relaxed style, the caricatures capture students’ personalities to an exact – and sometimes gently teasing – degree. Ramya Kumar’s portrait is sharp and spunky, dark with an inked-in smile; Gia Mariani’s features a splash of color in honor of her bright hair; and Klaus Storl-Desmond’s barely there, half his face trailing off in broken lines. “He was my escape artist,” Swinney explained to the audience as he presented it, to laughter and applause. Others showcase hobbies, favorite classes and pets, with fluffy dogs and bubbling beakers gracing the corners. All, however, place the student’s instrument in a place of honor. “I love how he gives each instrument personality,” said orchestra student Ashley Lie-Atjam, who is looking forward to receiving her caricature next year.

With a record-breaking 20 students graduating this year, Swinney had his work cut out for him. Usually his work is unreciprocated. This time, however, the seniors gave him his own portrait, a charcoal closeup drawn by Sophia Xiao and art professor Peter Xiao. In it, Swinney squints into some unseen light, smiling, After the ceremonies, seniors stashed their caricatures under their seats before playing Massenet’s “Thais Meditation” and Arranger’s “Best of Bruno Mars” – a glowing end to an already brilliant concert.

The unique aspects of this end-of-the-year performance are more than just nostalgic; they give incoming orchestra students motivation to continue their instrumental careers into high school.  “I remember the first time I saw the caricatures,” said junior Gillian Lindstrom. “I wasn’t planning on quitting orchestra, but they gave me even more motivation to stay involved.”

Swinney’s caricatures add a personal touch to seniors’ orchestra farewells and will certainly serve as reminders of happy memories for many years to come.