Diversity in Hollywood

Photo credit to Shield staff
Seniors Katie Oros (left) and Nikki Chang (right) pose in their matching outfits from the movie To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Festive outfits can be seen all around Pleasant Valley High School during Homecoming week

The Hollywood industry has recently been in the spotlight after casting several diverse actors into leading roles in many 2018 films. This discussion began when movies like “Black Panther” and “Ocean’s Eight” came out in the beginning months of 2018 and recently resurfaced with the release of movies like “Crazy Rich Asians” and “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.”

Many of these films have minority characters in lead roles. These casting choices not only have caused discussion around the world about diversity in Hollywood, but have also opened up discussion about representation for minorities in the media today.

Released on Aug. 27, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” acquired public attention for the cast duo of Noah Centineo and Lana Condor. Originally a young adult novel, the movie also received attention for its role in representation for Asian Americans. The protagonist, Lara Jean Covey was played by Asian American actress, Lana Condor. The casting of an Asian American for Covey’s role was important to Korean-American author, Jenny Han. She explained, “I didn’t really get to see myself in the stories.”

Relating to Han’s message of representation, PV senior, Jeanelle Cho also felt the movie was a big step in the film industry. She said, “It’s not often when you see Asians in a film- let alone an Asian main character who portrays a Korean American.” Cho’s parents immigrated from Korea and integrated the Korean culture and values to Cho and the rest of her family.

Cho also commented on the representation she felt from the movie, “I love that they made Lara Jean a Korean American because it’s something that I can relate to. I rarely see films that I can relate to based on race and culture”.

The topic of diversity in Hollywood expands from just being about racial diversity in 2018. “Ocean’s Eight” sprouted the discussion of female empowerment after its release on June 8. The movie stars an all-female cast with actresses like Anne Hathaway, Sandra Bullock, Awkwafina, and Rihanna.

Senior at PV, Haleema Waheed spoke about the way women are portrayed in this film. “Both as a woman and as a person of color, I feel like the movie portrayed both very well instead of villainizing POC or utilizing women as a tool in the movie,” she said. To Waheed, the all female cast not only depicted women empowerment, but it also brought in the factor of diversity with Rihanna, a black female artist, and Awkwafina, an Asian actress.

Waheed also noted that the film broke a female stereotype. “Society has often given women the idea that they must be put against each other and it’s a constant competition of who’s more beautiful, talented, smart, etc. but this movie shows women working together instead of against one another, which is an important image for young girls,” she added.