The return of Young Sinatra

Logic is back with another album in the Young Sinatra series, coming in hot with YSIV, also known as Young Sinatra IV. The album has been well received among many, with, “One fan claims he was vibing throughout, while another woman claims she was reduced to tears.”

Logic is an American born rapper that has released seven mixtapes and four studio albums. Everybody, which was his most critically well received album, was extremely notable in the mainstream music world. His mixtape Bobby Tarantino which, while not being as critically well received as some of his others, was also extremely popular.

This recent release, however, has been much more well received and it showcases some reflection from Logic. On the title track YSIV, Logic said, “We love and miss you, Mac…For those of y’all who don’t know man, Mac is the whole reason that I started doing this Young Sinatra.” He is referencing the overdose of artist Mac Miller in this line as he talks about how Miller is the reason he started with the Young Sinatra albums.

This reflection is a common theme through all his songs on this album as he raps about the appreciation he has for everyone that loves his music and the legacy that he has created. The album is very much like a nostalgic return to the old Logic, and the style and lyricism that many people love about him. Vashista Chintalapalli, a senior at Pleasant Valley, said, “Every lyric is intelligible and no matter what style he’s producing, he keeps it a priority to spread his motto of peace, love, and positivity. It’s rare we see an artist that true to their method.”

The album features many prominent artists such as Jaden Smith, Ryan Tedder, many members of the Wu Tang Clan, and a multitude of other artists. Many of the songs featuring the additional artists were extremely popular, with one being ICONIC featuring Jaden Smith. The song’s beat is directly inspired and drawn from Smith’s own song ICON. According to Tre Reyes-Sutton, a junior at Pleasant Valley, “ICONIC is one of my favorite songs from the album because of the way he kind of flips the beat from Jaden Smith’s song ICON, which was a really good song too.”

Overall, the album is a very high quality return to the Young Sinatra series for Logic and he reminds everyone of his masterful lyricism and flow. The album is well worth a listen, and it shows off Logic’s skill extremely well.