An atmosphere with a tone

PV’s pep band playing their music during the timeout of a boy’s basketball game.

During a sporting event, the crowd has a huge impact on the game being played. A home atmosphere can be a deciding factor, and at PV, the pep band is a huge contributor to creating a home court advantage during basketball games.

What the pep band lacks in chants, they make up for with their size and musical energy. This can motivate people to yell even louder for PV’s basketball teams.

The pep band has roughly 150 students attend each basketball game The band is active throughout the entire game, playing tunes prior to the game, during breaks and at the end of the last quarter. 

While the home crowd is rallied by the pep band, the band’s actions have been known to displease the opposing team. This may result in communication issues on the court due to the sheer number of students playing in the PV band.

Jackson McLaughlin, PV varsity basketball player, notices a significant difference when the band is not present in the stands. “It’s unique and no other school has it,” he said. “However, when opposing teams hear the band, it could throw them off.” McLaughlin believes that having a marching band of such magnitude is a clear advantage at home basketball games.

Although the Spartan pep band is prohibited from playing while the game is in play, the number of band students that attend contribute greatly to the support of the crowd.   Basketball games also give pep band members a chance to express themselves without using their instrument, allowing them to be cheerful fans of the game.

Jimmy Feeney, a senior band member, has been a part  of the pep band since freshman year. “I like helping to create an atmosphere and making as much noise as possible,” he said. “ I want to try to get in the head of the other team.” Feeney believes the band members are an important part of giving the basketball teams home court advantage.  

Playing a game at home creates a huge disadvantage for the opposing team.  The atmosphere of a specific location can be a great factor in the final outcome of the game. A pep band consisting of nearly 150 students definitely does the job of creating an intimidating environment PV is notorious for.