Streaming surplus: impact of individual networks on Netflix

Ani Pradeep
Senior Akash Pradeep scrolls through the Netflix home screen in search of his favorite show, “The Office.” This is one of the reasons that many viewers, like Pradeep, remain loyal to the monopolizing streaming service.

With the release of Netflix, watching movies through DVD became virtually extinct. More importantly, it sparked a cultural shift in how films and television were viewed: subscription-based online-streaming services.

Prior to the creation of Netflix, ancient technologies forced families to have to buy CD’s in order to watch a movie. In 1997 and years after, advancements in media services facilitated the movie-watching experiences for numerous individuals. For years, the streaming giant has been left unchecked, but in recent years, numerous networks have developed, forcing competition for subscribers.

Despite the high popularity of Netflix, the growth of other individual networks has converted consumers. In 2019, the company saw its number of consumers fall for the first time since 2011

This can be attributed to Netflix’s increase in price as well as its lack of fan-favorite products. Other companies such as Disney+, Hulu and HBOMax charge similar prices, but include a wider variety of shows, persuading viewers to drop what is one of the largest media service companies.

Nevertheless, there are some viewers who remain loyal to Netflix despite the rise of other networks. College student Maddie Murphy favors Netflix due to it having the shows she prefers. “I really like Netflix originals and I like rewatching my favorites like Friends,” affirmed Murphy. The fact that the price is a little higher than other companies does not bother Murphy. “Honestly, price-wise, I don’t really have an opinion since I use my parents’ account, but if I paid for it, I would probably still use Netflix because it is the most familiar to me,” claimed Murphy.

Still, there are students like senior Ella Litchfield who are glad to have more streaming platforms now because it is more price-accommodating and includes more variety. “With all of these new platforms being created, I definitely spend less time on Netflix. In addition, different streaming services have shows unique to them, so it is a matter which one I really want to watch,” explained Litchfield.

Since the pandemic has closed down movie theatres, internet streaming services have attracted significant attention. The start of Netflix was responsible for the end of DVDs and cable, showing how impactful innovation is in the media industry. Specifically, during the pandemic, streaming services must find the most creative way to satisfy fans and make viewership more enjoyable.