Wrestling room makeover: How PV turned an old wrestling room into an indoor golf room

Matt Mickle
PV’s transforms an old wrestling room into a new indoor golf room.

With the recent success of the Pleasant Valley (PV) boys and girls golf teams, PV has invested in another way to ensure future prosperity.

In the past few years, PVHS  has undergone construction to add new sections to the building and renovate old areas. One of the recently completed projects was the conversion of the old wrestling room into a brand new indoor golf practice room.

This golf room is an opportunity s made possible by the boys and girls golf teams’ fundraising and two former PV wrestlers who installed the equipment.

Over the course of a year, the athletes and coaches of the golf team worked together to raise money through camps, work opportunities and using the profits from the team store to help them purchase quality equipment for the practice area.

Sophomore golfer Connor Borbeck was a part of the group who helped raise money for the room, and he plans to spend a lot of time in throughout the rest of his high school golf career. “It was a good time being with my teammates and knowing we were doing something that would help not only me and my team, but golfers coming through the district in years to come,” Borbeck said.

While the players enjoyed helping out the program, the coaches enjoyed seeing them come together to make this all work out.

Head Coach Mike Nedelcoff, the leader behind this whole operation, got to spend extra time with his athletes and see them work off the course. “That is what made it so special. The players themselves helped pay for it through their participation in team activities,” Nedelcoff explained.

The room includes six full swing hitting stations, 1,200 square feet of chipping area and three putting carpet areas. This was all installed by two former PV wrestlers at no cost, who simply wanted to give back to the district.

Having an indoor golf room opens up a lot of new doors for PV golfers that many other schools may not have access to. “I can work on my game in the off season, when the weather is not cooperating, or simply when I have extra time outside of school,” Borbeck stated.

As the girls golf season approaches this spring, they look forward to being able to still get practices in during cold or rainy weather, thanks to the hard work of the PV golf program and two PV alumni.