REVIEW: Chucky’s return to television

Heath Rice
Chucky takes over television once again in “Chucky the TV series.”

Everyone’s favorite 29-inch killer comes back to television this October. The Chucky franchise has millions of slasher fans worldwide at the edge of their seats. 

“I think the intense scenes and usage of dramatic effects enhance the fear, and make it really appealing to watch,” freshman Carson Duncan stated. These details allow Chucky to stand strong in the horror industry. 

Chucky the TV series provides a similar blend of gore and fear, staying true to the doll’s reputation. Chucky’s popularity runs deep even at PV “The Chucky movies are appealing because the doll is such a big name so it always seems like the go-to horror movie,” Senior Solomon Kelsh stated.

The first episode of the series begins in Charles Lee Ray’s hometown with a new generation of victims. The story adds a refreshing new cast of actors but still keeps many of the fan favorites in the plot. 

Characters like Andy Barkley who was the child stalked by Chucky in the first 3 “Childs Play” movies have finally returned to the screen. Tiffany Valen and Nica Pierce, who were Chucky’s accomplices in recent movies, also are making an appearance in the next episode. 

Chucky himself has reverted back to his classic good-guy doll uniform, unlike the 2019 “Childs Play” remake. The doll has recreated its classic and disturbing aesthetic. The 2019 remake wasn’t paranormal but rather a technology malfunction. It’s refreshing to bring back the classic possession story. 

The show adds a layer of mystery and suspense as Chucky begins to reveal the town’s and citizens’ secrets. The end of episode one also left the question: is Chucky going to be the only killer in the series? 

Chucky is using his violent ways and ideas to try and convince the protagonist, Jake Webber, to be like him. Webber is conflicted with many mental barricades like bullying, ostracization and disapproval from his alcoholic father. 

The series handles tough topics like severe bullying, child abuse and alcohol addiction. Viewers are clearly able to see the pain these cause Webber. In the first episode, Chucky attempts to use these emotions for his own benefit and get Webber to join his bloody crusades. 

Chucky still maintains its gory and unique kills as Webber’s father is murdered in a pool of alcohol and electric wires. Not only was the kill particularly brutal but the mutilation of the family cat and Webber’s frog were equally disgusting. 

There was only one murder in the first episode, but many of the classmates and parents of the show have had their brutal ends foreshadowed. The kills feel intentional and are all part of an intricate plot revolving around the confused and disturbed teenager.

The show appears to take a change towards a more structured plot in this series, where instead of revolving around pointless murders, it has a genuine story. Past movies like “Seed of Chucky” and “Bride of Chucky” were nothing but slashers with few actual details retaining to the overall story. 

Chucky was revived in his classic brutal and gory manner in a way that focused on his revenge plot on past characters, rather than killing random strangers in his path. The show has not brought up any details from the movie except characters from the past, but fans await more connections. 

Even though there have been some pointless and comedic Chuckys, which were very different from the original three Child Plays, the 2017 film, “Cult Of Chucky” brought new hope to the series. This television revival seems to be fixing the flaws of past movies, the kills have more meaning and the story is finally intertwining.

It looks like the series will finally move towards fear and suspense, rather than laughs and bizarre one-liners. Chucky can be a terrifying movie monster if he is executed correctly and this show has a promising approach towards that. 

The show does not hold back on adult circumstances, which is surprising since the plot takes place in a middle school. The show is filled with 13- and 14-year olds doing drugs, talking about sexual scenarios and serious relationships. 

The writing is unique and keeps the classic slasher vibe, but it is a bit off-putting knowing it revolves around children that cannot even drive. The age gap compared to other horror TV series like “Scream” and “AHS 1978” is at moments uncomfortable. 

Chucky has always had an obsesion for taking a child’s soul to depart from his plastic prison, but it feels different when he is actually targeting them for murder. These middle schoolers are taking on the stereotypes of highschoolers. Drugs, sex, and murder do not fit well in a middle school.  

The long awaited show is off to a heart-thumping start this October. Millions of horror fans are ecstatic to finally see Charles Lee Ray’s plastic smile back on the screen, even if it’s not in theatres but streaming once a week on Syfy.