Why the DC FanDome experience is a celebration for fans 

JimMorrison5438, CC BY-SA 4.0 , via Wikimedia Commons
Still from upcoming “The Batman” movie showed off at DC FanDome.

DC Comics and Warner Bros. hosted 66 million viewers at their second virtual “DC FanDome” live event where they announced future projects, hosted guest stars and released trailers for upcoming movies and more.

During quarantine in 2020, DC Comics and Warner Media needed a way to  announce their upcoming content to fans, who were left completely in the dark. The pandemic threw the steady flow of content into a tangled mess, with creators now navigating a new working landscape. Delays ensued and fans were left wondering about the future of their favorite DC properties.

Once DC and Warner Bros. got a clear and concise roadmap and were able to resume work, they needed a way to communicate with fans regarding their new and exciting content. 

Traditionally, these announcements would be hosted during an in person Comic Con, where creators and fans could interact, ask questions, engage with content and experience the new trailers in-person. If they wanted to do anything similar it would have to be virtual, and so it was. On Aug. 22, 2021, DC Comics hosted DC Fandome where fans could tune into the live stream for free-to-watch interviews, listen to developers and guest stars, watch the new trailers and get all of the news related to all of DC’s properties.

It was a huge hit among fans, and according to Warnermedia, it raked in over 22 million live viewers and hundreds of millions more caught the big trailers post stream. All of DC’s new movies, games and shows were on everyone’s mind, and there was something for everyone.

In an interview with Variety, Blair Rich, Warner Bros. marketing department president said, “You could already feel this sort of detachment and the loneliness of COVID, and we thought this could bring fans together,” he said. “We wanted it to feel as much as possible as a physical destination and gathering place for fans to celebrate and discover.”

A little over a year later in October of 2021, the second event tripled in viewer count, with 66 million viewers.

These numbers are not to be taken lightly, as DC has displayed it’s genuins in generating hype and exposure for its content that has not ever been seen before. As mentioned previously, events like this were always hosted in an in-person setting, which in of itself, is limiting to fans. Not to mention some of the content shown off was private, and was not shared online. 

The free-to-watch live stream can be experienced by any fan anywhere in the world, bringing all fans from various cultures and backgrounds together for one incredibly unique event.

Junior Kushi Maridu, a dedicated DC fan, was definitely excited to tune in to the live stream. He also understands its impact on fans, saying “A live stream definitely goes further to connect with the audience. a person can access it from anywhere. In past comic-con events, the only way we know what went on during the event was through word of mouth and social media,” he said. “Another way a live stream is better is because youtubers, and other social media influencers can post their reaction and breakdown videos which increase the hype for the movies announced during the live stream”

Now, fans are united. All tuning in to the same event, they are able to discuss without the restrictions that were once in place – and the fans love it. Not only are viewers able to interact with their favorite titles, but they are also opened up to everything that DC comics has to offer, which without a doubt spark new interests in their own fans. 

The story of DC FanDome’s absurd success is one of the silver linings of the COVID-19 pandemic. Other entertainment companies should follow suit if they want to compete with DC’s current unrivaled fan free experience.