Spotify’s individualized expansion

Lydia Sommer
Spotify was created in 2006 in Sweden and is now one of the largest music streaming services in the world thanks to its innovative tactics.

Spotify has held its reign as one of the best streaming services for a long time, but the question is, how?

On Dec. 1, Spotify released its Spotify Wrapped for users. With vibrant colors and elaborate geometric designs, Spotify presented users with an overview of their past year of streaming. It is a unique feature that is individualized toward the listener.

However, Spotify Wrapped is not the sole marketing strategy the company has used to keep listeners engaged; new features offer more than just streaming and provide Spotify with an imaginative reach toward new users.

Spotify is mostly known for its expansive selection of music and podcasts, but it has also incorporated new features such as “Daily Mixes” and “Discover Weeklys” which are based upon a user’s typical streaming. However, other streaming services do include this feature as well.

Users find this tool useful, as they do not always wish to create a playlist themselves. The easiness and simplicity of a daily mix appeals to the general population internationally.

One of Spotify’s 443 million users is senior Katie Larsen, who enjoys listening to music on a daily basis. “I like the Daily Mixes because it brings all of my favorite music together,” she stated. “It makes listening to music easy, so that I don’t have to go searching for a new song every day,” Larsen concluded. 

While music, podcasts and daily mixes retain  a large portion of Spotify’s users on the platform, a recent addition has also drastically promoted their platform and engagement: emails.

According to market demographics, most users of the streaming service are Gen Z or Millennials. These younger generations enjoy media and consume it at greater rates than older generations.

Spotify has begun to send emails targeting  this specific group. The frequency of Spotify’s marketing appearing in users’ inboxes alone has helped promote the app. 

When a user receives an email about a new song or podcast being promoted, some view it. 

Senior Ally Lineburg often streams music through Spotify and has received many updates through her email. “I listened to an audiobook once for school, and I just recently got an email about audiobooks,” Lineburg said. “The email linked me to Spotify and to where I could purchase a book or audiobook. I felt interested in it, so I clicked on it.” Lineburg’s interest is like many other Spotify users’ interests as well.

People have also received emails about upcoming events in the area and large concerts for popular bands or artists. 

For example, Taylor Swift has “The Eras Tour” and had a presale. Right away, the users who listened to Swift received an email about the upcoming concert. Swift is an international icon, whose tickets are coveted by many. The email sent out raised a commotion.

Claire Saklar was one of the millions of users that received this email. “It told me that she was going on tour,” explained Saklar. “So, I could buy tickets right away. It definitely caught my attention.” The connection between Spotify and its promotion emails create a link in the users’ mind to Spotify

This is a clever marketing tactic utilized to encourage someone to use Spotify and connect to their favorite artists.

As Spotify continues to lead with new and innovative marketing strategies, it has continued to grow in demand and listeners.