The Heartbeat of the Band

Pleasant Valley has always had a rich and successful band history. Now the largest in the state, the Spartan marching band totals over 320 members. While most of the three hundred show up during the day for rehearsals, the drumline often arrives early and stays late. Directed by instructor Chris Foster, the drumline plays a vital role in keeping the pulse of the band and ensuring all goes smoothly under the Friday night lights.

While many in the stands won’t realize it, this year’s drumline has not gone unnoticed by others in the band as the “best drumline yet”. Even though last year’s drumline lost the leadership of some key seniors, this year’s section brings to the table new fresh and talented faces who look to perfect both new and old cadences and music.

Returning to a leadership role this year is current senior London Bicknell, who now takes on the position of head section leader for the entire drumline. The cymbal player, Bicknell, mentions how crucial the extra rehearsals are to the drumline. Taking place Tuesday after school and Friday before school, Bicknell states that these rehearsals have helped to, “unify the section and have allowed the drumline to be closer than it’s ever been before. This is so important when it comes to getting on the field because we act as a metronome for the rest of the band.”

While Bicknell is a returning leader of the drumline, joining the leadership team as Snare Section Leader is junior Alton Barber. Barber also attends each drumline rehearsal, leading the snare section in the production of the two new drum cadences this year, a feat almost unheard of in years past. The two new cadences are called “Blue Spartan Head” and “Mortal Kombat”, and will be featured in the many pep-bands and rallies to come. Barber mentions that, “Along with our two brand new cadences, everything has become cleaner and more precise since last year. It’s something we’re really proud of.”

As the football season continues, the drumline looks to grow their abilities as a unit. Tenor Drum Section Leader and junior, Michael Souhrada, emphasizes the importance of each and every member and the bond they share as a, “family within a family” of the band as a whole.“We have a lot of talented underclassmen as well as a very dedicated returning group of upperclassmen that have really made this drumline the best yet.”

The Spartan Drumline will showcase their talents and precision on the field once again tonight during the home game against Western Dubuque, providing the pulse as the marching band of 320 looks to perform yet another successful show.