This is spARTa! Q&A with Jimmy Guest

In the PVHS drama department, nearly all of the students are extremely committed to creating an enjoyable, accepting community. Anyone can join to showcase their talents, both on and off the stage. However, Jimmy Guest stands out above them all. Guest is a junior going into his 6th year of theatre. His peers would say he is by far one of the most hard-working, dedicated members of the theatre department. Let’s meet him!

What was your first role?

“When I was 10 years old, I was in an ensemble role in the Quad Cities Musical Guild’s production of The Music Man.”

When did you realize you wanted to continue doing theatre?

“In 7th grade, when I was “Jackson” in the junior high’s production of Flat Stanley. After that I realized that I wanted to continue doing theatre as much as I could, and I’ve stayed true to that.”

What have been some of your favorite roles onstage?

“Some of my favorites have been “Happy” from What Happens After Once Upon a Time, “Juror #5” in 12 Angry Jurors (that was my all-time favorite), and my role currently as Mr. Feldzig in The Drowsy Chaperone.

What’s the best part about performing onstage?

“The best part about performing is being able to do it with my friends”

What types of performing have you done outside of school

“Last year me and some friend’s performed a piece from Spring Awakening for The Iowa High School Speech Association. We ended up doing very [well] and [made] all-state for our performance.”

What do you do done anything off-stage?

“Off-stage I have participated in all aspects of tech. I’ve been set head, designed and ran sound, I’ve done lights, and I [was] assistant director for the murder mystery last year. I’m also really excited to be stage manager for two shows this year.”

What’s your favorite theatre memories?

“Some of my fondest memories are being co set head with ya boi Robert Bruce Williams my freshman year, making All-State speech with some of my best friends, going to International Thespian festival, and assistant directing alongside Maaz Ahmed and Robbie Williams.”

What other extra-curriculars do you participate in besides theatre?

“Besides theater, I have participated in choir since 6th grade and have been in Pleasant Valley’s Chamber choir since 10th grade. I’m also auditioning to be apart of Iowa’s all-state choir, so fingers-crossed!”

What do you do outside of school?

“Outside of school I like hanging out with my friends such as Robbo Williams and Olivia Peter’s boyfriend, Odin McNoodle. I also enjoy working at Walgreens to make that mad bank”

You can see Guest at the local Walgreens or in Pleasant Valley’s upcoming production of “The Drowsy Chaperone.” The Spartan Shield congratulates him on all his hard work and wishes him best of luck in the future!