PV choir hosts its annual awards night

Alexander Haack
Program for the 2019 Choral Awards Concert on May 13.

The choirs of Pleasant Valley High School held their final performances of the 2019 school year on Monday, May 13.

Before the concert, parents and students congregated in the cafeteria to celebrate the end of the year and have an awards banquet for the choir members.

Awards were given out to the “MVP” of each choir as voted on by their peers, as well as the “MVP” of each grade. The choir directors also selected one senior to receive the Most Improved award, Chamber Choir member Isabelle Hotard. Singers were also recognized for auditioning or being accepted into several honor choirs, including OPUS and All-State.

After the awards banquet, seniors were recognized in the PVHS auditorium. A slideshow with every senior’s picture and favorite choir memory was presented and the seniors met their parents onstage. Senior Cade Lewis shared the impact choir has had on his experience as a high schooler and his appreciation for the choir program. “Choir has been a big part of my high school career. The four years went by quick and I’m glad I decided to do it for all four years,” he said.

Following the senior recognition, each choir filed onto the stage to perform their sets from their large group competition. There were seven choirs that performed: Pleasant Valley Singers, Women’s Ensemble, Concert Choir, a Treble Ensemble with the women of Concert Choir, Chamber Choir, a Men’s Choir with Concert Choir and Chamber Choir men combined, and a Treble Ensemble composed of the women in Chamber Choir.

Between each choir performance, choir members who received an Outstanding Performance in their Small Group Contest sang their pieces. This included a duet from Christine Lyon and Rachel Lyon, a Treble Ensemble with Charity Jensen, Emily Johnson, Christine Lyon, Rachel Lyon, Natalie Murphy, Annie Warner and Madison Wells, a Mixed Quartet with Madison Wells, Christine Lyon, Alex Jungers and Alex Boyd, a duet by Christine Lyon and Madison Wells, and a solo by Jimmy Guest.

To conclude the night, the entirety of the choir department gathered on the stage and sang this year’s Senior Song: “The Rainbow Connection” from The Muppets. This song was chosen by the senior class and will also be performed at the graduation ceremony on Sunday, May 26.