My two cents you never asked for: Dumb Relationships

You never asked me for my two cents on those dumb relationships you get yourself into, but you’re about to hear what’s on my mind.

I am not going to tell you that high school relationships are stupid, or that they will go nowhere, because that would be hypocritical of me. (If there’s one thing I’m not, it’s hypocritical.) I have been in the same relationship since eighth grade, and I don’t think I am stupid or naive for that. Being in a high school relationship is not a waste of time, but it is a waste of time to be in an unhealthy relationship– at any age.

I’m here to tell you how I feel about the manipulative relationships I see on a daily basis as a high school senior. I honestly think I have seen it all. I’ve seen the girl who obeys her boyfriend like he is her parent, and I’ve seen the girl who wants to leave her boyfriend, but is just too afraid to be alone. These relationships are manipulative, and it makes me sad seeing all of the people who stay in these “bad romances” as my dear friend Lady Gaga would say.

“But I’m in love,” “But he loves me,” “But we are going to get married.” Yeah yeah yeah, dude, I’ve heard it all before. There is no possible excuse ever for you to stay in an unhealthy relationship. I feel so sorry for the girls who are stuck in this horrid situation. Wait, actually, most of the time I don’t. I don’t feel bad for these half-witted girls who think it’s okay to be with a guy who doesn’t treat them like a princess. I mean, wake up ladies. Can you not see what this “dream guy” is doing to you? How foolish are you? Break up with him!

Girls should not have to offer up anything in exchange for love. Guys should not have to be “whipped” in order to keep a girl. Relationships are give and take. That is something most high school students seem to be incapable of realizing. Relationships are not a chore; they should not be forced. A relationship ought to come naturally and feel safe. It seems to me like everyone sucks at that.

Ladies, losing that boyfriend of yours will not be detrimental to your life. Odds are, it’ll only take you farther. Y’all need to realize that it is okay to be alone, and you don’t need a guy to love you because that is what friends are for. So dump that jerk and whip out the gallon of ice cream… curves are in nowadays anyway.