REVIEW: “Five Nights At Freddy’s” uses an old tale to create a refreshing, new story

(Spoiler-Free)
Promotional image for the new Five Nights at Freddys movie in theaters.
Scott Cawthon
Promotional image for the new Five Nights at Freddy’s movie in theaters.

With the release of the long-awaited Five Nights At Freddy’s, how has this giant of the horror industry met its expectations?

The Five Nights At Freddy’s movie bases its plot on the original horror mobile game released back in August of 2014. The film featured its own original characters and interactions when most fans expected a one-for-one replication of the game; thus, many were put off by some of its creative direction. 

While the reception had some positives, when looking back on the movie experience itself, fans of the series agreed that the movie traded most of the horror aspects related to the game for some comedic moments. “It was funny in the theater and we had some laughs, but I really wished they delved more into what made FNAF really special–the tense atmosphere,” said Ly after the viewing experience in the theaters. 

Fans like Ly brought the idea that this movie was partially victim to the recent trend of “MCU Humor.” The movie was trying too hard to be funny—in moments where humor had no place–in an attempt to make the movie more family-friendly.

In fact, most fans argue the PG-13 rating ruined the potential quality of the movie and a R rated interpretation would have made the movie an overall better product in the end. “ I think some more graphic scenes to really show the true horror of the series that we knew and loved from the game” put by Ly on the lack of graphic depictions that were present in the game.

Fans against the movie comment how a movie centered around the murder of children does not cater towards a general audience, claiming a more mature path should’ve been taken.

However, not all fans share the opinion of disappointment and some fans go as far as to say that this movie gave a breath of fresh air for the series. It birthed a new independent franchise aside from the game. They state how the movie didn’t take itself too seriously, creating a movie experience to be enjoyed for all audiences rather than just select die hard fans of the series.

The movie leaves on a rather open ending, giving way for countless sequels and an expanded cinematic universe to be made. “I thought the new movie brought excitement and a new light to the story that games can’t do, and I’m excited to see where they take this franchise” says Senior Matthew Pischke who enjoyed viewing the movie with his friends and family.

A movie doesn’t have to stick strictly to the canon material, and it’s free to create its own unique experience for viewers that can be enjoyed regardless of connection to its source material.