Spartify: What’s on your playlist? Olivia Leach

This week’s spotlight is on Olivia Leach, a member of the P.V. choir for three years. Music is a big part of her life and has shaped her into the individual she is today.

Leach’s favorite genres of music include: alternative, indie, 90’s grunge, 60 and 70’s rock. Leach loves listening to her music on her retro Crosley record player. “I listen to these types of music because it is more than just the beat. It’s about the meaning of the song. The poetry and meaning behind a song is what makes it beautiful. Music has the power to completely transform an individual. Music continues to change and influence my life,” Leach says.

She has many favorite songs that fall into the categories listed above. A few include: “Where is My Mind” by the Pixies, “New Slang” by The Shins, “Space Song” by Beach House, “Robbers” and “Falling For You” by The 1975, “Flightless Bird” and “American Mouth” by Iron and Wine.

Her favorite artists are Lana Del Rey, Frank Ocean, Bon Iver, Passion Pit, Young and The Giant, The Lumineers, David Bowie, Glass Animals, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Beatles, Cage the Elephant and Grouplove. If she had to pick her preferred music icon, it would be David Bowie. “David Bowie did things no artist has ever done before. He is really unique. Each album is different from the last. His charisma and artistic feel is different in each song,” Leach says.

Leach plans on attending a Lana Del Rey concert this upcoming winter. She believes that Lana is a very powerful and influential artist. Lana’s music is deep and meaningful. “Her range and vocal ability is drastic compared to artists on the radio. Youth culture is portrayed in her songs and music videos. Lana reaches deep into the soul and unlocks feelings that are buried deep within. She is authentic,” Leach explains.

Lana Del Rey says, “If you consider the definition of authenticity, it’s saying something and actually doing it. I write my own songs. I made my own videos. I pick my producers. Nothing goes out without my permission. It’s all authentic.” Her go to saying is, “Live fast. Die young. Be wild. Have fun.” Lana Del Rey believes in living life to the fullest. She is a very popular and influential artist of this generation.

Music is very powerful to Leach.  It has not only transformed her as an individual but it has changed the way she views the world. She believes music is the best form of poetry and art.